What are the advantages and disadvantages of renting an apartment?
When deciding whether to rent an apartment, there are so many criteria that need to be considered. Every choice you make comes with its benefits and also its drawbacks. We are going to share with you some advantages and disadvantages of renting an apartment and when you have made up your mind, head to SPEEDHOME to assist you with all you renting needs.
The advantages of renting an apartment:
- Renting an apartment is generally cheaper than mortgage. Other than that, other financial components such as utilities and maintenance are cheaper too because of the smaller space and usually it has been included in the rent.
- An apartment tends to be more safe and secure. Most apartments these days are equipped with a security system that keeps strangers out with the use of access cards and security personnel present at each entrance of the building.
- Renting an apartment is a great short-term option. It is the best choice if you are just starting your career and keeping your options open whether you want to stay nearby your office or choose somewhere further. Even when you are unsure you will be with the company for a long time or not, renting an apartment fits the need at the moment.
- Most apartment complexes also come with amenities that you don’t actually get when renting a normal house. You can enjoy the pool, the gym, a kids’ playground, a laundry service and even a handyman for whenever you broke something or something is not working in your apartment.
The disadvantages of renting an apartment:
- Privacy can be a problem when you rent an apartment. The close proximity between the apartment units can really cause you a headache. You can easily hear loud noises coming from apartment units above and beside yours. Having that quiet weekend might be impossible when your neighbours are busy drilling their walls, moving their furniture or having a party.
- Parking can be a pain in the butt. Usually at best, a unit will come with 2 parking spaces but most of the time, you will only get one if you are lucky. Having friends over can be very difficult because most of the times, the roadside parking spaces in front of your apartment complex are all filled up by the tenants of the apartment too. You friends will have to park far away and it can be dangerous for them.
- Having a space for you own sometimes means you would want to personalize the space to fit your personality. This can be very difficult because most apartment units will come with a styling restrictions. Other than moving the furniture, there are very little things you can do to the apartment. Some landlord forbids their tenants from even changing the colour of the walls. There is no way you are going to have that dream kitchen.
To sum it all up, if you decide to rent an apartment, there are things that you will need to be ready to live with and without. At the end of the day, after weighing the options, it is up to you whether renting an apartment works parallel with your current situation and can work best for you. If you are looking for some help to ease your rental journey, let SPEEDHOME help you.